It is suggested that congregations and clergy who wish to register with Changing Attitude Ireland as Open and Welcoming to lesbian, gay, bisexual and transgendered (LGBT+) people and their families should formally agree to do so at a select vestry meeting.
Parishes that register as Open and Welcoming agree to the following:
- We promote trust and understanding amongst heterosexual and LGBT+ parishioners.
- We seek to include LGBT+ people and their families at every level of parish life, welcoming not only their presence but all they have to offer.
- We do not make the assumption that everyone is heterosexual, whether in conversation, preaching, or in the prayers of the church.
- We are upfront in our welcome for LGBT+ people and same-sex couples.
- We recognise committed same-sex unions at social events, in church services and other aspects of Church life.
- We welcome clergy regardless of their sexual orientation or gender identity.
Parishes that register with CAI as Open and Welcoming Congregations will be listed as such on the website.
To register with CAI please e-mail the honorary secretary Leo Kilroy